If you need an Indian Passport, you should bear in mind that there are specific standards required for the passport photo. There are a lot of softwares that can help you in getting an Indian passport photo, but make sure that this software can provide the necessary requirements to ensure your passport approval.
Unlike other countries, India has a very strict passport photo requirement. India has specific rules when it comes to photo size, background, face angle and lighting, to name a few.
Indian Passport Photo Specifications and Application Requirements
- The passport photo size should be 2 inch x 2 inch (51 mm x 51 mm), colored.
- Clear photo-print with continuous-tone quality.
- Full face front view with eyes wide open. Head should be center within the frame.
- Full head include top of hair to bottom of chin: height of head should measure 1 inch to 1-⅜ inches (25 mm to 35 mm) and eye height is between 1-⅛ inches to 1-3.
- Photo should present full head from top of hair to bottom of chin.
- Use only white or off-white background.
- Avoid distracting shadows or noises on the background and on the face.
- Head coverings are not permitted except for religious reasons provided that the facial features are still visible. From bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of the face must be clearly shown.
- Natural facial expression is a must.
- Properly illuminated background to avoid shadows.
- Retouching or enhancing photo is not advisable.
- High-resolution photography and printing are strongly advisable.
- Both conventional and digital photography are allowed. Conventional or digital printing methods may be used.
- Digitally printed photos should not have visible pixels or dot patterns.
- Fine facial features should be clear.
- Photo color should reproduce natural skin tones.
- Use appropriate filters to eliminate improper color balance.
- Head should face the camera directly (portrait style). No titling or turning.
- Photo must show both edges of the face clearly.
- The eyes must be open and should not be obstructed by hairs or eyeglass frames and any other accessories.
- Glare on eyeglasses should be avoided.
- No tinted or dark glasses.
- There should not be any overexposure or underexposure which results in an unusable photo.
Indian Passport Photo Specifications for Children (under one year old)
For children’s passport photo, they mostly have the same requirements as far as quality and size is concerned. However, the passport photo requirement of children under ten years of age are somewhat relaxed in terms of height of face, position of eyes, position of the face (for infants), facial expression, and line of sight. Here are other passport photo requirements for children:
- Clear frontal photograph is required.
- No other object or people should be visible on the photo such as chair, backs, toys, etc.
- The child must look at the camera with a neutral expression and mouth closed.
- Photographs taken with a digital camera should be of high quality color.