People used to say “the world is changing”. Well, it’s a changed world. Countries that in the past were a little less strict on passport requirements must now follow the biometric standards that were agreed upon around the world by governments. Singapore is no different.
Singapore is as strict, or stricter (in some regards) as the rest of the world. When you’re traveling to the country make sure that you have your ducks in a row and your passport and passport photos are in line with the below requirements.
Many passport photo vendors and photography studios that provide passport photo services actually charge more for Singapore passport photos. It’s that strict.
Singapore Passport Requirements:
- Overall size of the passport photo must be 45mm high by 35mm wide and on a matt paper of high-quality. Chin to crown, the head must be 35mm high and 25mm wide.
- The photo must be borderless and taken within the last 3 months.
- Full face, looking directly at the camera. Your eyes must be open, head straight without ANY hair across your eyes.
- The top of the shoulders and the edges of your face must be visible.
- For religious reasons hats and head coverings may be allowed. Other than that none of any sort. If you’re wearing glasses ensure that there is no reflection.
- No sunglasses or eyeglasses with tint.
- No redeyes. No uneven brightness on your face. (If you’re doing your passport photo with Passport Photo Software in your home then make sure it has a good photo editor included.)
- If your hair or head covering is white then the photo may be taken against a light gray background. If you do not have a white head covering or hair then the background must be white.
- Only you are allowed in the photo. No shadows. No chair back. No other people.
Singapore Online Application for Passports:
- If you’re not mailing your passport registration and application in manually then there is an online option with the following requirements:
- All of the above photo requirements, plus:
- Total file size of your photo should not be larger than 150kb
- You need to be familiar with JPEG compression in order to achieve the above size
- Must be submitted in JPEG format.
Travelling to Singapore can be a great experience. Visiting friends and family is sometimes a necessity. Make sure that you have all of your passport photo requirements in order before applying or it could delay your travel.